Friday, December 23, 2011

Getting in with the best hand

Getting into a pot with the best hand is not necessarily a guarantee that you are going to win the hand. But like my dad told me today if you keep playing those high quality hands the percentages will be in your favor. 

Today I played in the Poker Shootout in Roland, OK. The buy in was $30 with unlimited rebuys until the 1st break. 

The entire day I got nothing but lousy cards. I was playing very conservative and didn't end up playing in many hands.

The first hand I played I had KQ Hearts. The flop came with 2 low hearts and a 9 of spades. The player next to me went all in and I called. He had a QJ off. I had the best hand going to the turn then a not heart Jack hit. I blanked on the river and had to rebuy for $20. 

The next hand I played I was short stacked and went all in for $2,700 with AK diamond preflop. I got two callers. KQ off and pocket 4's. I ended up losing to the pockets 4's as the cards on the board did me no good! Once again I got in with the best hand and once again I got beat! I had to rebuy for another $20.

After paying $5 for an additional $1K in chips at the break I was at $5500 in chips at the break.

The first good hand I got to play after the break was pocket 9's. I went all in for $4300 and got two callers. It ended up being a little bit more than a double up.

I limped into a few hands with AJ, A4 but folded after the flops as I hit nothing. 

The blinds were $500/$1K and I was down to a little over 4 big blinds. I went all in with $4700 in chips with AJ off. I got called by KQ off and lost to a Q on the flop. I had the best hand preflop but wish I had waited to go all in AFTER the flop. With only $1500 in the pot it wasn't really worth risking all my chips when I could have seen a flop for $1,000. 

I got in with the best hand every time today and just got beat. Hopefully my pops is right and the percentages will come out in my favor long term!

41 entrants and I finished 20th.

Total earnings: $0
Total investment: $110
+/- = ($110)

I'll be playing again next Friday and hopefully reporting on how I won!

No comments:

Post a Comment